Fun Facts about September
September 4, 2019
- The birthstone for September is the sapphire.
- The zodiac signs for September are Virgo (August 23 – September 22) and Libra (September 23 – October 22)
- The birth flower for September is the morning glory.
- On September 1, 1905, Alberta and Saskatchewan were established.
- On September 1, 1939, World War II began in Europe because the German troops invaded Poland.
- On September 2, 1789, the United States Department of Treasury was established.
- On September 3, 1783, the Revolutionary War in America ended after Great Britain signed the Treaty of Paris.
- On September 6, 1901, William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, was assassinated.
- On September 8, 1565, the first permanent white settlement was founded in St.Augustine, Florida.
- On September 10, 1846, Elias Howe patented his sewing machine.
- On September 14, 1847, United States forces took control of Mexico City.
- On September 14, 1940, the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress which provided the first peacetime draft in the United States history.
- National Chicken Month
- National Rice Month
- National Potato Month
- National All-American Breakfast Month
- Labor Day – first Monday of September
- September 8 – Pardon Day
- September 13 – Uncle Sam Day (his image was first used in 1813)
- September 16 – Mexican Independence Day