Interesting Facts You Should Know About August
August 5, 2019
- The birthstones for August are the peridot and the sardonyx
- The zodiac signs for August are Leo (July 23 – August 22) and Virgo (August 23 – September 22)
- The birth flowers for August are the gladiolus and the poppy.
- On August 1, 1876, Colorado, also known as the Centennial State, became the 38th state of the United States.
- On August 2, 1909, the Lincoln penny was issued.
- On August 3, 1492, Christopher Columbus set sail on his first voyage across the Atlantic.
- During the Civil War on August 5, 1864, the Battle of Mobile Bay was won by the Union forces.
- On August 6, 1926, Gertrude Ederle successfully swam the English Channel.
- On August 6, 1945, the first atomic bomb was used in warfare on Hiroshima, Japan.
- On August 7, 1942, the U.S. troops landed on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands during World War II.
- On August 9, 1974, Richard M. Nixon resigned from office, making him the first United States president to ever resign from office.
- On August 12, 1877, the phonograph was invented by Thomas Edison.
- On August 12, 1898, Hawaii was annexed by the United States.